We Asked, You Said, We Did

Below are some of the issues we have recently consulted on and their outcomes.

Free Distribution of Printed Matter

We asked:
Notice is hereby given that the Council of the City of Birmingham (“Birmingham City Council”) propose by virtue of Section 94B and Schedule 3A, paragraph 2 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (“The 1990 Act”) (as inserted by the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005) and subject to considering any objections received, to designate certain places and streets where the distribution of free printed matter is prohibited without the consent of Birmingham City Council and subject to the following proposed conditions of consent.
You said:
The responses received will form part of a report
We did:
The responses received will form part of a report to be heard at a future Licensing and Public Protection Committee meeting.

Harborne Walkway Surface Improvements

We asked:
Do you support the project to resurface and upgrade the existing path along the Harborne Walkway?
You said:
85% supportive. 15% not supportive
We did:
The project will commence on site in July 2015 and be completed by early October 2015.

Alexander Stadium-Rowdale Road Cycleway

We asked:
Do you support the proposed project of a shared pathway between Alexander Stadium and Rowdale Road?
You said:
87% supportive. 13% not supportive
We did:
We have commenced constructing the pathway which will be completed by 26th June 2015

Regulation and Enforcement's Enforcement Policy

We asked:
Regulation and Enforcement undertakes enforcement on behalf of the public at large and not just in the interests of any particular individual or group. However, when considering the public interest test, the consequences for those affected by the offence, and any views expressed by those affected will, where appropriate, be taken into account when making enforcement decisions. We are asking users, businesses and interested parties if they would like to comment on the proposed updated enforcement policy.
You said:
Unfortunately no-one responded to this consultation, therefore, I am unable to publish any results.
We did:
This policy will be heard at the June 2015 Licensing and Public Protection Committee meeting.

Birmingham Bulletin Survey 2015

We asked:
For your opinions on the Birmingham Bulletin.
You said:
Of those who answered the survey 95% expressed satisfaction with the Birmingham Bulletin. 87% felt the monthly frequency of the bulletin was about right and 82% felt the length of the Bulletin was about right. 86% felt more informed about council projects as a result of reading the bulletin.
We did:
We now include more news and information - and have reduced the number of headings to make way for this - so that overall, the bulletin is a similar length. We have added ‘click through’ buttons for the Events and Newsroom websites, which makes it easier for subscribers to find out more news from Birmingham city Council. We have also added a link to the Keep in Touch service to allow people to sign up for more email alerts from BCC.

Bereavement Services Service User Questionnaire 2015 (Quarter 1)

We asked:
We will do everything practicable to ensure that the service provided by Bereavement Services are satisfactory and meet our service user requirements. Please tell us your comments/suggestions relating to the service
You said:
Rabbit problem needs attention at Sutton
We did:
Regular pest control in place and electric fencing installed at Sutton Crematorium to enable us to deal with this issue

Third Sector Strategy

We asked:
We asked for your comments on the strategy - about the relationship between the role of the third sector and the council, the priorities and the key themes.
You said:
We are analysing your comments and will take forward appropriately.
We did:
Thank you for your comments on the Third Sector Strategy. In view of the council's Future Council Programme we have paused in the development of the strategy; we are reviewing how to progress the strategy to ensure that it is consistent with related elements of this programme. We will provide an update when more is known.

HIV and TB Support Services

We asked:
public opinion on the HIV support services we currently fund and how they might be improved, to help us plan future services. We were interested in finding out what support services for people with TB are needed. We were not looking experiences of medical care for HIV or TB.
You said:
about your experience of these health conditions and also of the services: • 47% of people said they were HIV positive • 33% that they support someone with HIV • 21% of respondents were both HIV positive and support someone with HIV Awareness of the support available for people with HIV was good, with 88% of respondents aware of the services. Just over half had direct experience of using the services and 82% of the people who said they have used the services rated them as good or very good. Several people stated they found accessing services by public transport an issue. However, several people praised the services stating they provide highly valuable, practical and emotional support. People provided their views of how services could be improved, with financial support and better health promotion and awareness campaigns being the most popular themes. There was a smaller response with regard to TB, with only 7% of people responding to the survey reporting that they had TB now or in the past, and 15% that they support someone who has or has had TB. Some respondents were also HIV positive, or supported someone with HIV. Many suggested that people with TB require additional support to get well, including financial advice, support to maintain treatment and more information on TB. It was stated by several respondents that GPs and other healthcare professionals had a general lack of understanding and knowledge of TB and they felt there was a reluctance to assist and information was limited.Concerns over testing and early diagnosis were raised, especially for high risk groups. There were similar comments to those raised for HIV, with financial advice and support ranking highly, together with support to maintain treatment. The need for more information and improved education in schools was also raised, as well as targeted health campaigns in areas of high risk or prevalence.
We did:
All responses have been collated and will be used to influence commissioning of support services for people with HIV and TB. A needs assessment is currently being produced and this document will also support commissioning of HIV and TB support services

School Health Advisory Service in Birmingham Consultation Questionnaire

We asked:
For your views on the proposed School Health Advisory Service, which areas for improvement should be prioritised and what you thought of our proposals.
You said:
We received a tremendous response, with 3,424 questionnaires submitted. There was strong support for our identified priorities. The survey reached a large young audience with 75% of respondents being 15 years old or younger. 82% of respondents agreed with the proposed priority to help children to attend school even if they have a medical problem. 89% agreed with the service helping to find health problems early and 92% to giving help early once identified. 90% of respondents identified safeguarding children as a priority. The healthy weight priority was agreed by 80% of respondents. 85% of respondents agreed with helping children with emotional problems as a priority, with 85% also agreeing that help was a priority for those who may have problems with drugs, alcohol or smoking. The lowest respondent level was 67% which was for the priority of helping growing children with relationships, including sexual health. There were concerns raised regarding giving children information too early and that it was only suitable for older children. Generally there was support for offering service out of hours and on other premises, but also that services should be school based. There was support for increasing the service to include potentially vulnerable children, who are not in school.
We did:
We have placed a greater emphasis on delivering a core offer to schools and so increasing the visibility of the service in schools. The priorities areas will be identified and needs addressed following a health assessment. This will include offering health assessments to vulnerable children and young people (e.g. home educated, asylum seekers or those in the Youth Criminal Justice service). Where needs have been identified appropriate care pathways will be used. Services will be offered at a time and venue to suit the individual, either in school or alternative premises and outside school hours where appropriate. The services will offer a variety of ways of interaction with schools and children, including via texts and emails.

Bristol Road South Package Local Safety Scheme - Junction Improvements

We asked:
For your views on the proposed measures for the Bristol Road South Local Safety Scheme - Junction Improvements.
You said:
There was strong support for majority of the proposed measures. A number of requests for additional measures were requested. There was also some objections to some of the proposed measures.
We did:
Following the feedback received during the consultation and any subsequent amendments will be undertaken to the scheme. Following this the consultation feedback and preferred scheme option will be presented within the Full Business Case to be considered by the Chief Officer for approval.

SLIPS, TRIPS AND FALLS CITIZEN FEEDBACK

We asked:
Citizens that have been effected by a fall, slip or trip about thier experience to understand the types of falls, when and how they occured and whether the services available are being accessed and aiding citizens with their falls related recovery.
You said:
Better follow up and more efficient referral services are needed to reduce waiting times and anxiety of citizens. Barriers and inconsistencies with the levels of support available and offered. There is generally a lack of awareness of falls services available to citizens who want better and easier access to appropriate services. Better promotion and communication of what is available to support them.
We did:
This information will be used to influence and develope a Falls Strategy for Birmingham, with emphasis on supporting the needs of citizens.

Bereavement Services Service User Questionnaire 2014 (Quarter 4)

We asked:
Are there any ways that we could improve our Crematoria Service to encourage more Birmingham residents to use the facilities provided by the City Council
You said:
Need some kind of cover in rain
We did:
Quotes have been obtained for a covered walkway area at both Sutton Coldfield Crematorium Chapel and Lodge Hill Crematorium Chapel. Approval has been given for the walkway cover to be installed at Sutton and the quote for Lodge Hill will be considered when received.

Licensing Act 2003 Statement of Licensing Policy Review

We asked:
for you to respond to the Licensing Act 2003 Statement of Licensing Policy Review
You said:
please give us your feedback on the revised statement of licensing policy
We did:
the revised statement of licensing policy will be heard at the Licensing and Public Protection Committee in April 2015

Childrens Special Educational Needs - Local Offer

We asked:
What views you that have on the Local Offer website, such as, what things you like and do not like about it as we aim to use your feedback to continue improving the website.
You said:
There were some positive comments, for example: good to see the different services, ability to change the font size and that the links were good. The areas you would like to see improved were where the pages were too wordy or too technical and some of the navigation did not work.
We did:
In response to this feedback we have amended the way that Local Offer looks and works, the following amendments were undertaken: Navigation: We have amended the Post 16 area and Marketplace to improve the users experience. Too Wordy: To revisit the EHC Assessment Area and make it more user friendly so on some of our more complex pages we have added a summary, which will assist the google translation (when implemented) First Page: As requested we have made the “Click Here” link into the site more noticeable. Sensory Support: Ensured that the links are now working correcting Interactivity: We have posted the Local Offer /EHC Animation and EHC pathway, and co-production video’s Sharing your views: There is a section of the site devoted to the capture of your comments and views.

What's On South Brum Year 2 - your views on making it better and bigger...

We asked:
What people think of What's On South Brum? What people use and don't use? What people would like to keep and what they would like to change? What ideas and contributions people might have to develop and sustain What's On South Brum?
You said:
That What's On South Brum is a great idea and providing a valuable source of information; That people would like to keep it and start to develop a wider, more collaborative approach, as well as provide some more regular administrative help to it; That in general the design, layout and content of the website and social media is either good or excellent; That people want to be kept informed of further consultation, changes, updates etc. to What's On South Brum and a number of people would like to actively take part in the planning and decision making.
We did:
A number of activities have now been initiated, some of which will take several months. So far the website has been completely refreshed to make it easier for different users to interact with it, also the information for practitioners and professionals has been completely re-jigged and updated. The next steps are to establish a multi-agency/multi-user steering group to shape who is involved in administrating What's On South Brum, as well as how. Also what partnerships could be made with other, similar platforms and to help local projects, clubs etc. develop their own presence on the web and social media.

Community Infrastructure Levy - Draft Charging Schedule

We asked:
We asked for your views on the proposed Community Infrastructure Levy Draft Charging Schedule before submission to the Planning Inspectorate for Examination.
You said:
We received a number of responses, both via this website and direct to the Council, both in agreement to the charges, and with some suggested changes to the charges.
We did:
We have proposed a number of changes to the charges before submission to the Planning Inspectorate for Examination. These changes are contained within the Statement of Modifications document (www.birmingham.gov.uk/cil) and the Public Hearing will be heard on Thursday 30th April 2015.

A34 NORTH PERRY BARR PEDESTRIAN SUBWAYS INFILL

We asked:
On the 7th November 2014 the consultation on the proposal to infill the three pedestrian subways between Aldridge Road and Walsall Road in 2015 closed. It is proposed to infill the three pedestrian subways between Aldridge Road and Walsall Road for later next year. This proposal is being implemented in advance of the re-development of the Birmingham City University site. The project will help to kick start transformational change within the area, which contains a number of potential development opportunities that are likely to come forward in the short to medium term. The proposal supports creating an attractive, safe and convenient route for sustainable modes and will help to stimulate future investment. The funding is in place and it is proposed to deliver this proposal in 2015 in advance of the redevelopment of the BCU teaching campus site.
You said:
Although we received no adverse comments to the overall proposal there were some specific issues relating to the scheme. • Will there be disruption to traffic during the construction works? There will be some disruption during the works with the extent depending on how the contractor will carry out the work and what access he requires. The Contractor’s temporary traffic management proposals will be submitted to the Council for approval. • The proposal does not address the poor cycling provision in the area? Cycling measures in the area are being considered as part of the Perry Barr to City Centre Birmingham Cycle Revolution scheme that has recently been out to consultation. Improvements for walking and cycling in this area are identified within the Aston, Newtown and Lozells Area Action Plan. • Why not provide seating as part of the works to encourage the use of the area for sitting and chatting? Has the introduction of public art been considered? Currently the scheme does not include benches as the scheme is only a starting point of the wider redevelopment of this area. The central green area may be re-configured as part of the wider scheme in near future.
We did:
We would like to thank everyone who responded. We will review and complete the detailed design, taking into consideration the consultation responses. Following that a Full Business Case report will be prepared for approval by the Cabinet Member for Development, Transport and the Economy early in 2015. Subject to securing Full Business Case approval we would be looking at starting construction in the summer 2015.

Bradford Street Environmental Improvements Phase 2

We asked:
We asked for your views on the following proposals: - Installation of new Street Lighting - Footway re-surfacing with blue brick pavers and replacement of tactile paving where required. - Construct all vehicular footway crossings with pink setts. - Installation of new pink Granite/Conservation Kerbs.
You said:
Although we received no adverse comments to the overall proposal there were some specific issues relating to the scheme. • The new paved footway should be user friendly for wheelchairs and pushchairs. - The construction specifications specify a smooth surface finish and the gradients will be adjusted to minimise disruption to wheelchairs and pushchairs. • Street light needs to be improved. - The existing street lighting has been upgraded and enhanced to the required standards. • Improvement of Crossing Facilities. - Tactile paving facilities are being provided or upgraded at a number of side roads which will provide saver crossing for users. • Cycle Lane required at least in one direction. - The provision of a cycle lane is not included within this scheme but is being considered as part of BCC’s future transport/cycling programme.
We did:
We would like to thank everyone who responded. The detailed design has been reviewed and completed. The consultation responses have been considered. The Full Business Case has been signed off and construction is expected to commence in June 2015.

Ward Committees

We asked:
Your thoughts on Ward Committees and whether they could be improved.
You said:
We had mixed responses. However, many felt that the ward committees could be better advertised.
We did:
The Committee presented a report to City Council which was agreed.

Bereavement Services Service User Questionnaire 2014 (Quarter 3)

We asked:
We will do everything practicable to ensure that the service provided by Bereavement Services are satisfactory and meet our service user requirements. Please tell us your comments/suggestions relating to the service
You said:
As a regular visitor to BWE cemetery I am very concerns about the state of the main road through the cemetery. Repairs are urgently needed. Even worse if the state of the derelict cemetery chapels. If finance prevents this restoration of these buildings could they please be demolished and their site cleared
We did:
The roads within Brandwood End Cemetery have been resurfaced

Short Breaks for Disabled Children with Complex Needs

We asked:
- What do you think of the services you currently receive? - What difference has receiving this service made to your child(ren) and your family - If you do not / did not have access to short breaks services how does / would this impact on your child(ren) and your family. - What type of short break would you like your child(ren) to receive that you are not able to access? What prevents you from accessing it?
You said:
The services we use are good but there are not enough of them. Too often there is a waiting list, or we are only offered a service every few weeks. Children enjoy the short breaks. Staff are well-trained and able to meet the needs of the children.
We did:
We tendered for short breaks for children with complex needs. The new service providers are expected to maximise the number of disabled children recieving a service whilst maintaining high quality provision and Birmingham City Council is working with a range of providers to look at how we can work in partnership to increase the short breaks offer.

Witton Road / Nobel Way Junction Improvement

We asked:
On the 2th September 2014 the consultation on the proposal to modify the junction of Witton Road and Nobel Way closed. The junction is the main access point into the IM Hub site. The proposal consists in signalising the junction in preparation of the Birmingham Wholesale Market relocation in to the IM Hub site and further development of the site.
You said:
The main comments received from the consultation related to possible impact on Witton Road traffic flows as a result of introducing traffic signals at the junction. Assessments carried out during options appraisal for the relocation of the Wholesale Markets and development of the IM Hub Site concluded that signalisation of the junction is required to better manage future traffic from the IM Hub site and ensure satisfactory operation of the junction, in preparation for the relocation of the Birmingham Wholesale Markets and further redevelopment of the Hub site. The junction was designed to ensure that unnecessary stopping time for traffic travelling on Witton Road is minimised.
We did:
The detailed design was reviewed and completed taking into consideration the consultation responses. Following this a Full Business Case report was prepared and approved by the Cabinet Member for Development, Transport and the Economy on 15th October 2014. It is currently proposed to implement the junction improvements in spring 2015.

Ring Road Junction Improvements at Haden Circus - Additional Proposals at Highgate Middleway / Upper Conybere Street Junction

We asked:
We consulted on the proposal to prohibit the left turn from Highgate Middleway to Conybere Street for motorised vehicles, cyclists will not be prohibited, which was closed on 24th August 2014. In addition on 21st July 2014 the consultation on the proposal to provide a dedicated physical left turn slip lane between Belgrave Middleway and Highgate Middleway along with other junction improvement proposals was closed.
You said:
2 respondents objected to the proposed TRO to prohibit the left turn from Highgate Middleway to Conybere Street for motorised vehicles. 16 respondents supported and 10 respondents objected to the junction improvement proposals.
We did:
We reported the TRO Objections to Cabinet Members and received approval on 8th April 2014 to implement the TRO proposal. Works to improve the flow of traffic and improve safety for pedestrians and cyclists at Haden Circus Ring Road Pinch Point Scheme is scheduled to begin on 27th July 2015 and will last for approximately 37 weeks.

New Sports & Leisure Centre for Northfield District

We asked:
residents to complete a questionnaire for a new Sports & Leisure Centre for Northfield District
You said:
80% of replies were from were current users. The responses regarding what facilities they wanted at new Centre were:- 97% Swimming Pool for general use, 78% Learner Pool, 76% Changing Facilities, 76% Gym, 70% Cafe/Vending Area, 68% Family Changing, 66%, Health & Fitness Suite, 65% Bike Racks, 55% Dance/Aerobic Studio, 38% Car Parking
We did:
Discussions currently taking place.

Community Mausoleum at Quinton or Lodge Hill Cemetery

We asked:
We asked if you would support the introduction of mausoleums at Quinton or Lodge Hill Cemeteries.
You said:
You said In principle you supported the idea and favoured Lodge Hill Cemetery as this would provide future long term burial provision.
We did:
We carried out a feasibility study for the potential introduction of mausoulem interments at a number of cemeteries throughout the City, with a recommendation for future installation.

New Graves at Yardley Cemetery & Crematorium

We asked:
We asked if you would support the provision of new graves at Yardley Cemetery
You said:
You said You supported new provision as it would meet local need.
We did:
We did : We carried out a feasibility study which recommended the future introduction of new burial provision both below and above ground.

Short Break Consultation

We asked:
We asked for peoples comments on four key proposals these were to; • Offer emergency placements at Brook House • Offer planned respite at The Laurels • Open an enablement facility at Viscount house for people with learning disabilities for up to six months • To close Allenscroft short break service in Kings Heath
You said:
The consultation started on the 12th May and finished on the 31st July 2014. 300 copies of the consultation document were issued along with 300 copies of the consultation questionnaire, these were made available at the various meetings and a number of them were issued to the day service following the individual consultation meetings for further distribution through existing carer networks. There were 38 questionnaires returned. In total 211 people attended the 37 consultation events held across the city, out of these 47% were carers, 41% were staff and 12% were service users. Key themes raised were; • Carers expressed concern at the prospect of Brook House being solely for emergency admission, as this proposal involved the service users that were currently accessing Brook house for the planned respite to access this from the Laurels. Carers were concerned about the impact this would have on their relative in terms of their ability to cope with change and the knock effect this would have on their home life. • Concerns were expressed generally at the capacity of the Laurels to support all planned admission given its lack of disabled bedrooms and the increased volumes of service users accessing it, once Allenscroft had closed. • A number of carers expressed positive comments at the prospect of opening a new facility expressly for the purpose of learning disability enablement. • A number of carers most of which were currently accessing Allenscroft expressed concern and displeasure at the prospect of the closure of Allenscroft, a number of carers raised the consequential lack of short break facilities on the south of the city.
We did:
• We amended the proposal in regard only having emergency admission at Brook House, planned respite will be offered at both Brook House and the laurels along with emergency admission at both • The proposal to open an enablement facility at Viscount house is in the process of being progressed • Due to their being no serious alternative to closing Allenscroft, the proposal to close Allenscroft was progressed. Alternative buildings are being looked into to replace the Laurels; focus is on sourcing a building on the south of the city.

Proposed Partial Signalisation of Five Ways Roundabout

We asked:
Do you support the proposals shown on the consultation drawing.
You said:
66% of the responses received were in favour of the proposed scheme.
We did:
Subsequent to the consultation on the partial signalisation of the roundabout, the Metro Extension along Broad Street to Five Ways was approved. This will have an effect on the original proposal and, as a consequence, the scheme is being reviewed.

Bereavement Services Consultation with Funeral Directors 2014 - Crematoria

We asked:
For the overall satisfaction level of the service provided
You said:
100% of respondents were satisfied with the level of service
We did:
We published this information on our webpage

20mph is Plenty in Central South Birmingham (area A3)

We asked:
For your views on detailed proposals for speed limits in Central South Birmingham.
You said:
There is strong support for the project. You submitted a number of requests and a petition to include change additional roads or sections of road to 20mph.
We did:
The project has been progressed and approved by Cabinet, with some amendments to the proposals.

Bereavement Services Service User Questionnaire 2014 (Quarter 2)

We asked:
Do you have any comments in relation to the service you have received
You said:
Lodge Hill has some areas where there are pot holes. I received a letter from Quinton that clearly stated that the deeds could be collected from Quinton yet there was an insert saying they would need to be collected from Kings Norton
We did:
Extensive roadworks have been carried out at Lodge Hill to improve the roadways. Changed the reporting on the database to esnure the letters are updated with the correct details

Birmingham Cycle Revolution-Stechfrod Lane to Bordesley Green East

We asked:
If you support the proposal
You said:
You support the proposal
We did:
We built the new route as per the proposed layout

Birmingham Cycle Revolution-Hamstead Park and Cherry Orchard Recreation Ground proposed cycleway

We asked:
We asked if you were supportive of the proposals.
You said:
All responses very positive.
We did:
A new cycle route constructed as described in consultation plans.

Park on Raymond Road, Washwood Heath, Consultation on Improvements

We asked:
We asked local people to complete a questionnaire on their current usage of the park, and of their prefered improvements to the site from a list.
You said:
The park was renamed Morris Park, following a public vote. The list of potential improvements has been put in priority order.
We did:
We took the results to the Friends group, local councillors and other local representaitves and they supported the consultation and have asked the Parks service to develop the favourite top 8 items from the list of improvements in to an affordable scheme. The proposals are being presented at Washwood Heath Ward Committee on Tuesday 20th January, 6:30pm at Thornton Road Primary School. It is hoped that the scheme will be approved and be constructed between April and June 2015 - ready for the Summer.

Neighbourhood Tasking

We asked:
What your experiences were of Neighbourhood Tasking Meetings in your local area and how what would suit your local area/ward/neighbourhood.
You said:
To give local people the choice about what suits their area in terms of meetings. Key issues were and to increase engagement and participation of local people.
We did:
A report of the findings was presented to City Council in July 2014. All of the recommendations were agreed for implementation by the Council.

Neighbourhood Advice and Information Service Re-design

We asked:
For your views on the proposed changes to the current service model for the Neighbourhood Advice and Information Service (NAIS) which is devolved to District Committees; and why it is necessary to make these changes.
You said:
There were no responses to the consultation.
We did:
The outcome of the review of neighbourhood advice was to reshape the service and for a number of sites to close and the service refocus around main Homeless advice centres (HACs). The reshaping is still ongoing as part of the financial savings.

Community Library Service City Wide Consultation

We asked:
for your views on the city wide savings proposals for the Community Library Service
You said:
USAGE Loan of books and use of computers were the most 2 popular COMMUNITY LIBRARY CLOSURES Number of registered users, number of books loaned, computer access, use by community groups and proximity of other libraries were the most important factors in considering library closures and also concern was raised that libraries must remain accessible by public transport. No clear pattern of usage was identified with 81% of respondents indicating that they use libraries at various times, not at a specific time. OPENING HOURS In considering changes to opening hours, key factors were identified as libraries' busy periods and opening hours of nearby libraries BOOK FUND Smaller range and longer waiting times were main concerns. Large proportion of respondents suggested that Community Libraries should concentrate on booking lending, computers and events.
We did:
Proposed library closures and reduction in opening hours reviewed.

Birmingham Cycle Revolution-Chinn Brook Recreation Ground Proposed Cycleway

We asked:
Do you support the proposed cycleway at Chinn Brook recreation ground?
You said:
The majority of the consulation results were positive for the proposals.
We did:
The path works has commenced on site with completion due for mis October 2014, weather dependant.

Forward survey 2014

We asked:
Your opinions on Forward, the council publication.
You said:
It’s positive news that 91 per cent of those who responded to the survey expressed satisfaction – with 90 per cent feeling more informed about council activities as a result of reading Forward. Plus 79 per cent said they always read Forward, with only four per cent saying they rarely read it, and just one per cent never reading the publication. Whilst 23 per cent felt the frequency of Forward was not enough, two-thirds, at 67 per cent, felt the frequency was about right at four times a year.
We did:
We’ve been working hard to make Forward a publication that residents continue to be interested in reading and we are now placing an emphasis on including shorter, ‘snappier’, proactive articles so that readers are given even more practical advice and ‘know-how’ information – as well as a general overview of what the council has been doing. We want to further increase the number of residents who feel informed about the wide-range of activities the council has to offer and we are looking at ways to encourage more people to always read Forward.

Birmingham Cycle Revolution-The Dingles & Colebank Proposed Cycleway

We asked:
Do you support the proposed route of the cycleway at the Dingles?
You said:
Yes
We did:
The cycleway has been completed

Birmingham Cycle Revolution Works, Yardley Green Road, CV-5

We asked:
For views on a proposal to install a new zebra crossing on Yardley Green Road as part of Cole Valley cycle route.
You said:
Why cyclist dismount signs? What will prevent unlawful car parking as this is a big problem locally?
We did:
Cyclists will be permitted to use zebra crossings in future (from 2016) so dismount signs are temporary until legal. Design will include higher kerbs or bollards to prevent parking around the crossing.

Birmingham Cycle Revolution Works, Hob Moor Road, CV-6

We asked:
For views on a proposal to install a new toucan crossing on Hob Moor Road as part of Cole Valley Cycle Route.
You said:
Ensure tactile paving correctly warns pedestrians of all shared areas and leads to crossing. Would a zebra suffice and be less intrusive?
We did:
Toucan crossing will encourage more cycling and assist children walking to primary school. Design amended with district engineer input on tactile paving.

Birmingham Cycle Revolution - Green Road to Cole Bank Road

We asked:
If you support the proposed route
You said:
All responses were positive
We did:
We built the path as proposed following the consultation

Improving Mental Health services for 0-25 year olds

We asked:
We are holding a consultation between January and April 2014 to seek people's views on the design of the new service.This will include your views on: - how you would like the services to be joined up? - what services should be included? - what the services should look and feel like? We really want to hear from everyone, especially children and young adults. We will also be talking to patients, carers, providers of services, clinicians and the general public.
You said:
Unfortunately we didn't get any responses
We did:
What may be helpful is that on our website, there is a ‘You said, We did’ document, which summarises the feedback to our 2014 consultation on 0-25 mental health services. Here is a link to this information: http://bhamsouthcentralccg.nhs.uk/patient-and-public-engagement/0-25-mental-health-services

Birmingham Cycle Revolution Works, Coventry Road, CV-8

We asked:
For views on a proposal to convert the existing pedestrian crossing to a Toucan crossing and realign the Cole Valley Cycle Route exit onto Coventry Road in line with the path actually worn by existing users.
You said:
There is concern that surfacing works would cause damage to tree roots close to the path.
We did:
Cycle route to be built using the existing path. Toucan crossing to be installed as proposed.

Birmingham Cycle Revolution Works, Bordesley Green East, CV-4

We asked:
For views on a proposal to install a signal (toucan) crossing to offer a safer and more continuous route where the Cole Valley cycle route crosses Bordesley Green Road.
You said:
We support the crossing but would prefer a one-stage crossing that is more convenient for pedestrians and cyclists.
We did:
A two stage crossing is required, due to the width of the road and to prevent undue delays to other traffic. This will be installed.

Birmingham Cycle Revolution Works, Small Heath Highway, CV-10

We asked:
For views on a proposal to create a two-way shared use path along the footway leading towards the Ackers and Grand Union Canal towpath.
You said:
Concerned about the width of the footway for shared use. Concerned about treatment of side road entrance.
We did:
In addition to installing the shared use path, widen the nearside lane and narrow the farside lane to help separate the shared footway from the adjacent traffic.

Wider Botanical Gardens Area Framework

We asked:
The consultation exercise was held between February and April 2014, to seek views on a draft copy of the Wider Botanical Gardens Area Framework. It was publicised on the Council’s website and by direct mail to residents within and in in close proximity to the Framework area. A total of 19 responses were received, 14 of which were made via Be Heard.
You said:
The main issues arising from the consultations were: • Road capacity, safety access and parking • Safe cycling and pedestrian routes • Concern about the impact of new indoor sports facilities • Concern about the impact of proposals on the Conservation Area • Impact on open space and wildlife • Flood risk • Concerns regarding private land matters • Support from Sport England and Calthorpe Estates • General support for the principles of the Framework
We did:
The Framework was amended to reflect the outcomes of consultation. New sections were added to address concerns about traffic, parking, cycling and pedestrian movement, design considerations and the impact of detailed development proposals. Some private matters were the subject of further discussion between interested parties. There was further correspondence between several objectors and the Cabinet Member for Development, Transport and the Economy, and the Framework was adopted in February 2015.

Bereavement Services Service User Questionnaire 2014 (Quarter 1)

We asked:
Do you have any comments in relation to the service you have received
You said:
Please collect wreaths to keep the gardens tidy. Grave sections should be clearly signposted
We did:
Implemented a procedure whereby we collect wreaths following the 12th night. Installed new type of wooden grave markers at Handsworth Cemetery

Kendal Rise Play Area

We asked:
- If you support the proposals - What type of activities you would like to see the most in the play area
You said:
- 86 out of 73 supported proposals - Climbing&swinging, spinning and sliding were top 3 choices
We did:
- We implemented the improvement to the play area - We installed new multi play unit with climbing and sliding features, new swings, roundabout and see-saw as per the top 3 choice activities

Sexual Entertainment Venue Policy 2014 Consultation

We asked:
The survey is intended to ascertain your thoughts and opinions on the proposed amendments to Birmingham City Council's Sexual Entertainment Venue Policy.
You said:
The results of the survey will be used to inform a report that will be submitted to the Licensing and Public Protection Committee who will make any ultimate decision concerning the Policy.
We did:
this response was included in the SEV Policy 2014 consultation report which was heard at the April 2015 LPPC meeting.

A41 Soho Road Draft Framework

We asked:
Public consultation on the Draft A41 Framework was undertaken from 6th January – 3rd March 2014. Letters and leaflets were sent to every address point within the framework boundary. An exhibition and drop-in sessions were held at Handsworth Library on Soho Road. The consultation material advised how comments on the Draft Framework could be made. This included email, post, telephone and online via Be Heard. All affected Ward Committees were consulted. The Soho Road BID was consulted. Statutory consultees such as Centro, Environment Agency, English Heritage, Natural England and other stakeholders were consulted. The consultation exercise asked if people agreed or not with the purpose and objectives of the Draft Framework and the Development Principles set out in the document. It also asked if people agreed or not with the site specific proposals for each opportunity site. Finally we asked if people had any other comments on the document.
You said:
Approximately 50 responses were received. The Draft Framework received a generally positive response with detailed comments relating to specific issues around the role of the local centre, connectivity, car parking, heritage and design and deliverability of the proposals. A number of comments were made which were not planning related or which the local planning authority has no control over. The majority of respondents agreed with the purpose of objectives of the Draft Framework, along with the development principles guiding development and regeneration. The majority also agreed with the site specific proposals (where they familiar with the site). The most common comment is that area is in need on investment and improvement and that the centre needs a greater range and choice of uses.
We did:
The Framework has been amended to take on board detailed comments relating to heritage and design from English Heritage, and comments relating to connectivity, making reference to the City’s Birmingham Connected document. The Draft Framework already emphasises the need for a range and variety of uses in the centre and identifies opportunities to expand upon the local centre offer. In terms of parking, a TRO to introduce parking meters in the core of the centre is being considered separately. The Framework recognises that delivery of the proposals is a long-term process and partnership working with the BID and public and private sector interests will be required. The final framework was approved by the Cabinet Member for Development, Transport and the Economy, as informal planning guidance on 10 February 2015.

Local Sustainable Transport Fund (LSTF) - Bournbrook/Selly Oak Local Centre

We asked:
We asked for your views on proposals which included: • Proposed 20mph zone / limit within the local centre and adjoining roads. • Upgrading sections of footway to provide a consistent surface throughout the local centre. • Raised table (road surface) at the Bristol Road/ Grange Road/ Dawlish Road Junction. • Downgrading the carriageway from 4 to 2 lanes.
You said:
Although we received no adverse comments to the overall proposal there were some specific issues relating to the scheme. • The scheme should be extended to Langleys Road. - The scheme has been extended to Langleys Road. • Bristol Road should not be made 20mph until the Triangle works have been completed. - 20mph on Bristol Road will be implemented as part of phase 2, after the completion of the Triangle works. • Cycle Facilities should be introduced within the Local Centre. - 20mph through the local centre will encourage more cyclists to use the Bristol Road through the Local Centre. • Raddlebarn Road, Greenland Road, Selly Park Road and Serpentine Road should also be included in the 20mph scheme. - The 20mph proposals are limited to local centre and the surrounding roads. These roads will be considered as part of the city wide 20mph proposals. • Raised table at the Bristol Road/Grange Road/Dawlish Road junction will cause discomfort for drivers. - The Raised Table at the junction has been removed from the scheme.
We did:
We would like to thank everyone who responded. The detailed design has been reviewed and completed. The consultation responses have been considered. The Full Business Case has been signed off and construction is expected to be completed in May 2015.

Proposed Walking and Cycling Route alongside Small Heath Highway

We asked:
As part of the Birmingham Cycle Revolution project we asked if there was support for the proposal to improve the informal path which runs next to the Small Heath Highway to provide better access to the Grand Union Canal towpath.
You said:
As there are no residents in the immediate area surrounding the path (which runs between the Small Heath Highway and the River Cole and a waste transfer site) and there was only one option for the path improvement, the consultation focussed on key stakeholder consultation and so was removed after a short time from the BeHeard website. The key stakeholders, interested parties and landowners were in favour of the path improvement.
We did:
We completed the improvement to this path in line with the support received from the key stakeholders.

Budget Consultation for Adult Social Care

We asked:
We asked for views on the Directorate's budget proposals for 2014/15 and upon its proposed “Social Care for Adults in Birmingham – A Fair Deal in Times of Austerity." During the consultation period 30 meetings were held around City which were attended by almost of 400 people. In total 262 responses to the consultation questions were received, 185 questionnaires were returned and a further 77 proforma responses were received from residents in a sheltered housing scheme.
You said:
With regards to “Social Care for Adults in Birmingham – A Fair Deal in Times of Austerity”, the first question asked: “Do you understand how the proposed future model might affect you or the person you care for?” 57% of respondents said they did, while a further 25% were unsure. The second question asked: "Do you agree with the future model to provide a fair deal in times of austerity?" 37% of respondents did not agree, while a further 31% were unsure.
We did:
We heard many useful comments, but in the current very challenging context, we did not receive any alternative, viable suggestions to the proposals made. Therefore the recommendation to Cabinet was to proceed with the savings proposals as outlined in the 2014/15 Proposed Budget Consultation. The report to Cabinet is attached on the link above, for more details

Draft Northfield Regeneration Framework

We asked:
For your views on the vision, objectives, area, development principles and potential development opportunities set out in the draft Framework.
You said:
The document should link to wider regeneration initiatives. A number of minor suggestions were put forward. There was general support for the Framework.
We did:
Minor changes have been drafted prior to adoption of the Framework.

Sexual Health Services - Redesign Consultation

We asked:
For your views of the Services provided by our Sexual Health Service Providers, which areas for improvement should be prioritised and what you thought of our proposals.
You said:
We received a tremendous response, with 2,500 questionnaires submitted. There was strong support for our greater focus on outcomes. 90% of respondents agreed with the proposed outcomes to improve support for people vulnerable to/victim of sexual coercion, find and treat more young people with chlamydia, and reducing transmission of HIV, STIs and BBVs. 82% agreed with the priority outcome of fewer under 18s conceptions, and 77% with reducing the numbers of initial and repeat abortions. 71% agreed there was a need for a joined up, managed, sexual health system. 69% supported the proposal for GPs and Pharmacies to provide more sexual health services. 58% of respondents agreed with the suggestion to increase the role of voluntary organisations. There was broad support for locating clinics in the centre of the city, to the South and the North, with many responses focused on access; in terms of ensuring that (public) transport links and parking were good. There was a robust challenge to the shift away from intensive support for people with HIV. There were clearly expressed views that SRE in schools is important to future sexual health, and that the sexual health service/ system should have a role in supporting this
We did:
We have placed a greater emphasis on achieving the proposed outcomes, and particularly focusing the services to identify and support clients experiencing sexual exploitation and coercion. The re-commissioned service will place greater emphasis on the needs of the priority groups identified, including young people, men who have sex with men, sex workers, drug misusers, children in need, and those communities with higher risk. Many responses stated how difficult navigating and accessing the current system can be and the variation in provision. This will be addressed by creating a single city-wide system, with one lead organisation managing a number of partners. Many people highlighted the importance of Primary Care (GPs and Pharmacy) and third sector organisations as part of the system and this will be part of the new service. We will also be looking closely at the location and accessibility of services and insisting on outreach and in reach provision for priority groups, including work with schools and educational establishments. As a result of the Consultation, we have taken HIV support services out of this recommissioning of sexual health services and decided to look at this area separately, across the Council as a whole to ensure there is a coordinated approach to commissioning services in future. We will be using the more detailed feedback and responses from the consultation and engagement exercises to inform the development of future service quality standards and performance indicators used to monitor and manage contracts with Providers.

Flexibility of service times for funeral services

We asked:
Do the current service times at cemeteries meet your needs and if you would be willing to pay a preminum for service times up until 7pm
You said:
21% of respondents said they would pay a higher fee for later service times
We did:
Outcomes of this were reported corporately for future consideration

Your Views on Proposals for the Environmental Health and Trading Standards Services

We asked:
1. Would you favour a single multifunctional team (Environmental lHealth, Trading Standards, Car Parking and Planning)? 2. Do you think Trading Standards and Environmental Health should sell their services to partners and other local authorities to reduce costs? 3. Are you in favour of funding an additional Approved Financial Investigator to confiscate assets/money from criminals where these are obtained through the proceeds of their crimes?
You said:
1. Fewer than 50% supported this idea. 2. 62% supported this idea. 3. 72% supported this proposal.
We did:
1. This proposal has not been taken forward. 2. We are attempting to do this where the opportunity arises and the result would provide a cost saving to BCC. 3. We have appointed a second accredited financial investigator.

Consultation on Proposals for Birmingham's Registration Service

We asked:
1. Should the Sutton Coldfield outstation be closed 2. Would you be willling to pay to have your ceremony streamed on line 3. Would you use on line genealogy searches if they were available
You said:
1. Of those that responded the majority said 'yes' 2. A small majority said 'yes' 3. Overwhelmingly the response was 'yes'
We did:
1. Following further consultations we closed the outstation 2.We are currently looking at the feasibility of providing this service 3. We are currently looking at the feasibility of providing this service especially in relation to the financial implications

Recycling of excess heat at Lodge Hill and Sutton Coldfield Crematoria

We asked:
If service users would have any objections to the potential use of heat that is created by the process for cooling hot gases that are produced during a cremation in order to reduce the city's carbon footprint
You said:
96% of respondents had no objections to the proposals
We did:
A feasibility study has been carried out into the potential use of heat

Consultation on Proposals for Birmingham and Solihull Coroners and Mortuary Service

We asked:
1.Do you think that the Coroners and mortuary Service should be located at a different site in the city 2. Do you think that we should stop paying NHS employed Doctors for attending inquests during their NHS paid time?
You said:
1. There was no clear consensus 2. The majority of respondents agreed that we should cease payment
We did:
1. The Coroners and Mortuary Service remains in its current location 2, Such payments have ceased

20mph is Plenty

We asked:
Do you support the introduction of 20mph speed limits on Birmingham's roads, and do you think that this will make the roads safer?
You said:
39% were in favour of the proposal, whilst 58% of respondents were against the proposal. 40% of respondents agreed that this would make the roads safer, whilst 53% disagreed.
We did:
A pilot area has been chosen, which includes wards where a) road traffic collisions on minor roads are highest, b) there is high Councillor support for 20 mph speed limits on residential roads, or c) there is high public support for 20 mph speed limits on residential roads.

Northfield District Neighbourhood & Information Service Customer Improvement Survey 2013

We asked:
For your views on ways in which we can improve our Neighbourhood Advice & Information Service
You said:
That overall you were very satisfied with our service and found our staff to be helpful and knowledgeable. You said that you would like more pre-booked appointments and more public phones and computers
We did:
We fed you your comments back to the Service Review Panel: We are currently looking at proposals to refurbish Northfield Customer Service Centre and these will include modern facilities that will accommodate additional self service public phone booths and computers. The Advice and Information Service will be also be reviewed with a view to including the provision of more pre-booked appointments.

Northfield District Sport & Leisure Customer Service Improvement Survey 2013

We asked:
"...For your views of the Services provided by our Sport and Leisure and which areas for improvement should be prioritised."
You said:
...100% of people said that they were satisfied or very satisfied with the service at Colmers Leisure centre, stating that it provided good value for money. Northfield Pool achieved 93% in overall satisfaction and value for money. The main improvements you asked for were to improve gym equipment and changing rooms
We did:
We reviewed all our gym equipment and ensured that it was bought up to highest standards.

Northfield District Customer Service Improvement Survey Library Survey 2013

We asked:
For your views on our Library services and what should concentrate on to improve them
You said:
That overall you were very satisfied with the service, found what you wanted and were satisfied with the computer service. You had some anxieties about the future of Library services which varied from Library to Library and you also wanted to see more services available from Library buildings. You wanted a better choice of books and longer opening hours as well as a 4 week loan period.
We did:
Fed all your comments back to the Service review panel. The loan period will be returning to 4 weeks.

Adults and Communitites: Making it Real Survey

We asked:
For your views on our Making it Real Action Plan about our Adults and Communities Access Service; our Opportunities Fair and adult social care Direct Payments.
You said:
You provided us with comments about your experiences of these things.
We did:
We have shared these comments with the managers responsible for these services and members of our Citizen Quality Boards and will take account of your views when planning improvements in our service delivery.

Bereavement Services Service User Questionnaire 2013 (Quarter 3)

We asked:
Service User feedback on thr service provided by Birmingham City Councils Bereravement Services
You said:
1) Witton - Request for café, vending machine 2) Handsworth - Request for extended opening hours in evenings 3) Request for Muslim graves to have bricks around the grave onto which slabs can be laid. 4) Lodge hill - Gift aid envelopes were removed from the collection plate.
We did:
1) Witton - Request for café, vending machine This is not feasible 2) Handsworth - Request for extended opening hours in evenings During summer site is open until after 6.00 at weekends. Opening times to be reviewed. 3) Request for Muslim graves to have bricks around the grave onto which slabs can be laid. Costs have risen significantly over last 10 years. Fees and charges are reviewed annually and agreed by cabinet member. Suggestion to be considered. 4) Lodge Hill - Gift aid envelopes were removed from the collection plate. Any collection is the responsibility of the FD. Matter passed onto FD. Staff to be vigilant.

Consultation on proposed Dog Control Orders

We asked:
Birmingham City Council is proposing to make Dog Control Orders under the Clean Neighbourhood and Environment Act 2005. Prior to making such Orders, the City Council is required to carry out a full public consultation.
You said:
All comments are welcome and should be sent to the contacts specified at the end of the Notice. Please note that all such comments must be made by Friday 20 September 2013
We did:
the consultation on proposed dog control orders was reported to the Licensing and Public Protection Committee in 2013.

Advanced Manufacturing Hub Local Development Order

We asked:
For your views on the proposed local development order
You said:
You provided us with comments on the proposed Local Development Order for the Advanced Manufacturing Hub raising a number of planning and non-planning related issues
We did:
We reported these comments to Planning committee on the 14th November for consideration. Planning concerns raised were addressed in this public arena and the Draft LDO is now with the Secretary of State for determination.

Proposed Bleak Hill Walking and Cycling Route

We asked:
Do you support the proposed installation of the new cycle route along bleakhill recreation ground?
You said:
79% of residents in favour. 21% opposed.
We did:
The project will proceed on site. Detail plans are being completed. Works are hoped to commence in January 2014 weather dependent.

Bereavement Services Service User Questionnaire 2013 (Quarter 2)

We asked:
Services Users for feedback on the service provided by Bereavement Services
You said:
1) Floral Tribute area at L Hill dull and lifeless. 2) Problem with a bench in the chapel at Lodge Hill as insufficient room. 3) Annoyed that the office at Quinton is closed. 4) Cost of burial charges too high for none residents at Quinton Cem. 5) Area by the cremated remains plots at Quinton cemetery is uncultivated and scrubby. 6) A baby was buried in a public grave at Brandwood End Cem, family dissatisfied 7) A memorial permit was returned to the mason as the required signature was not present. This was upsetting to the family. 8) Gates at Handsworth cemetery were not opened on time. 9) Handsworth cemetery - Request for an early booking service for the Muslim community, single point of contact and contact numbers provided. 10) Saddened that Quinton office is closed as they like to do business face to face, instead used the telephone provided to contact KN office. 11) Witton Cem - in a poor state of repair, inadequate toilet facilities, fees scandalous, strimmers being used. 12) Lodge Hill - cremation service delayed as previous one overran, felt their service was rushed. 13) Sutton Crem - request that curtains were not drawn was not complied with. 14) Request for a shelter over the floral tribute area. 15) Handsworth - Toilets in very poor state. 16) Lodge Hill - Wrong version of music piece played.
We did:
1) Floral Tribute area at L Hill dull and lifeless. Additional floral display installed. 2) Problem with a bench in the chapel at Lodge Hill as insufficient room. Benches have been moved to allow more room in between. 3) Annoyed that the office at Quinton is closed. The decision to close the office was taken due to efficiency savings. 4) Cost of burial charges too high for none residents at Quinton Cem. Quinton cemetery is not in the Birmingham area although it is operated by BCC. Discussions are taking place re whether to apply a reduced fee for those living close to the cemetery is under review. 5) Area by the cremated remains plots at Quinton cemetery is uncultivated and scrubby. This area is on a reduced grass cutting specification. As it becomes developed the frequency of cuts will increase. 6) A baby was buried in a public grave at Brandwood End Cem, family dissatisfied A formal response was sent on 7 May advising that no memorials are permitted on these graves and the applicant applied and signed for this type of grave prior to the interment. As the funeral director arranged the funeral the expectation is that they would have discussed the requirements of the family in advance. 7) A memorial permit was returned to the mason as the required signature was not present. This was upsetting to the family. A formal response has been sent advising that the name of the applicant was not on record and the requirement for checks to ensure the correct person applies for a memorial permit. 8) Gates at Handsworth cemetery were not opened on time. This was due to snow conditions and the paths and roads had to be cleared. The funeral was not delayed. 9) Handsworth cemetery - Request for an early booking service for the Muslim community, single point of contact and contact numbers provided. An early booking service is already provided at Handsworth for all faiths and the majority of Muslim burials take place within 24 hours, where they do not this is usually due to family choice. Contact details are already provided. 10) Saddened that Quinton office is closed as they like to do business face to face, instead used the telephone provided to contact KN office. Arrangements can be made for an officer to meet on site if required. 11) Witton Cem - in a poor state of repair, inadequate toilet facilities, fees scandalous, strimmers being used. Grounds maintenance issues have been picked up with the contractor, toilets are due to be refurbished. 12) Lodge Hill - cremation service delayed as previous one overran, felt their service was rushed. Investigated - full service time was allocated and a formal response has been sent. 13) Sutton Crem - request that curtains were not drawn was not complied with. Investigated. 14) Request for a shelter over the floral tribute area. Quotation received but cost prohibitive at present. 15) Handsworth - Toilets in very poor state. Toilets due to be refurbished. 16) Lodge Hill - Wrong version of music piece played. Organist played the version supplied by FD. This matter has been taken up with the FD.

Proposed Changes to the Domestic Recycling and Rubbish Collection Service

We asked:
For your views on how the wheelie bins proposals for Birmingham should be implemented.
You said:
You provided us with comments on how Birmingham Residents could increase recycling and reduce rubbish, including rubbish spilt on to the streets, via the use of wheelie bins.
We did:
We reported these comments to Cabinet on 16th September 2013. The roll out of wheelie bins across the City will be implemented by the end of December 2015.

DES/Forward 4 Work Service Redesign

We asked:
For your views on the Disability Employment Solutions redesign which was aimed at strengthening and focusing the service on current and emerging delivery priorities. Repositioning the service to achieve greater alignment and streamlining of functions resulting in increased productivity, greater efficiencies and improved outcomes for service users. It takes account of the changed policy and funding landscape across the employment and skills arena at a national, regional and local level. It provides the opportunity to respond to the impact of business transformation, efficiencies, financial savings and budget pressures.
You said:
That you would like Forward 4 Work to remain open and to continue to do what it does very well; make service standards/improvements required; deliver more work focused training; continue to deliver Work Choice; Improve information and be clear about the services provided.
We did:
Taking into full consideration the responses and ongoing dialogue with a range of stakeholders including clients, carers, training providers, DWP and voluntary sector providers we implemented a service redesign process that resulted in a more streamlined, efficient service focussing on the individual needs of clients. Principally this has involved making full use of the Work Choice contract where appropriate. Following a series of individual review meetings involving staff, client and carers we have been able to effectively transition existing service users to alternative service provision. Adults & Communities are delivering services to people with disabilities with high level support needs and is offering daycentre provision utilising personal budgets from the Inkerman Street site. The Work Choice programme has increased and now supports over 100 disabled people into training, work experience, work trials, apprenticeships and employment.

Bereavement Services Service User Questionnaire 2013 (Quarter 1)

We asked:
Service Users to provide feedback on service provided by Bereavement Services
You said:
1) General maintenance of Witton Cem below standard 2) Cremation service delayed due to pervious service overrunning at Lodge Hill Crem x 2 3) Charges for witness scattering of cremated remains too high. 4) 10 year Lease period for after cremation memorialisation too short. 5) Sound system at Lodge Hill crem was inadequate. 6) There should be groundsheets around the grave for the safety of the pall bearers and cleanliness of footwear. 7) Sending questionnaires out 7 days after the funeral is insensitive. 8) Graves too close at Quinton. 9) All FD should provide clients with a written statement concerning the cremation service times and the fees for overrunning. 10) Quinton Cem. Flowers following a burial were left under a tree. Gents toilets awful.
We did:
1) General maintenance of Witton Cem below standard This has been raised with the Grounds Maintenance client. 2) Cremation service delayed due to pervious service overrunning at Lodge Hill Crem x 2 Investigated and additional use of chapel fee charge applied as appropriate. Fad’s reminded of the need to keep to service times. 3) Charges for witness scattering of cremated remains too high. Fees and Charges are set in line with the corporate charging policy. 4) 10 year Lease period for after cremation memorialisation too short. Lease periods were reviewed and a decision was taken for the majority to remain as 10 year leases. Lease for sanctum memorials are longer than 10 years. 5) Sound system at Lodge Hill crem was inadequate. A new system has been installed. 6) There should be groundsheets around the grave for the safety of the pall bearers and cleanliness of footwear. Wallboards and grass mats are in use, groundsheets are unsuitable as they become slippery when wet. 7) Sending questionnaires out 7 days after the funeral is insensitive. Previous polls have established that this is the most appropriate time. 8) Graves too close at Quinton. Existing sections have graves are laid out on 4' centres. In response to larger coffins and prevailing ground conditions. New sections have graves laid out at 5' centres which provide more room in between graves. 9) All FD should provide clients with a written statement concerning the cremation service times and the fees for overrunning. A copy of Bereavement Services fees and charges is sent to FD’s following a change and they are available on the BCC website. FD’s are aware of the crematoria booking times. Service times were discussed at the FD meeting. 10) Quinton Cem. Flowers following a burial were left under a tree. Gents toilets awful. On investigation FD’s omitted to deliver flowers for the service and placed them nearby. Toilets are due to be refurbished.

Green Living Spaces Plan 2012

We asked:
For feedback on the Draft Green Living Spaces Plan 2012
You said:
We received comments and suggestions from a diverse range of interested parties
We did:
Publish a Green Living Spaces Plan - availble from the City Council website

Newey Goodman Park Play Improvements

We asked:
your opinion on chosed equipment, any additional comments and items to be considered for the project.
You said:
as well as being supportive of proposals concerned about the location, anticipated noise increase and disruption from parked cars
We did:
The scale and location of facilities chosen have been carefully selected to suit the site and benefit as many users as possible. Most noise from recreational use will be concentrated around the games area which will be contained on the existing hard surface far away from any housing. New decorative tree planting will help to filter noise and screen the new features. The open space is of a neighbourhood scale and most users will be accessing the site on foot. Occassional users arriving by car will be able to park on Stratford Road.

Allotments Cash Handling Safeguarding Measures

We asked:
see below.
You said:
see below.
We did:
The Guidance Note is sent to all Association Secretaries to be used for future banking. Next Steps - To ensure that training is given within our Training Workshops for Allotment Associations on the best practise for the collecting rent on our behalf.